Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Week 5: Weak hips

Today was my first day back after that long run on Sunday. I was supposed to run yesterday but I pooped out. I felt like poopin out today but I forced myself to get out there.

About half way through the run, my hips started to bother me again. Not really in the same spot though...more like the joints. Here is what I read from Cool Running.com:

Pain at the side of the hip
Description:Pain in the side of your hip, usually at the joint of your hip and thigh but sometimes a bit higher toward the hip bone.
Likely causes:A basic overuse injury. You've inflamed the fascia in your hips, the flexible fibers in the joint. The specific reasons for this pain vary for different runners. The culprit may be weak back muscles, the type of surface on which you run, the shoes you wear, or the length of your running stride. One of the remedies below will likely work for you, but it's difficult to predict which it will be. However, if you have pain in only one of your hips, you probably have either an uneven pelvis or unequal leg lengths. See the section above on lower back pain for details on treating this.
Remedy:As mentioned, hip pain can come about for a variety of reasons. Try these remedies; one of them (or a combination) should get rid of the pain, albeit with a bit of persistence. Try shortening your stride when you run. Try switching running surfaces (if you've been running on a hard surface, try a softer one or vice versa). Reconsider your running shoes; your feet may demand a different style or fit. Finally, try some abdominal and lower back exercises to strengthen those muscles.


So, what am I going to do? I'm not sure. I dont think my shoes are that old. I just bought them in April I think and I dont put that much mileage on them. I think I'm just going to take some Motrin and remind myself to take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment